According to the latest census numbers (2008), women make $0.77 to every man's dollar (1) and the average revenues of majority women-owned businesses were still only 27% of the average of majority men-owned businesses (2). My hope for Sparking Cinderalla is to foster a community of support for female entrepreneurs as well as provide a little juicy insight into who these women are in their everyday lives. After all, as Mama Gena says, "Women are the greatest untapped natural resource in the world."



Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sarah Bush: Jackson Street Studios

THE FACTS
Name: Sarah Bush
Job Description: Artist and Creativity Coach
Company info: Jackson Street Studios 

I have two websites:
http://www.makegreatstuff.com/ is dedicated to helping you become the artist you are, one creative day at a time. I  teach the Creative Breakthroughs Collage Tele-class over the phone every Wednesday night in order to help busy creative people carve out time to create, get unstuck, ditch their self-censorship, and build a creative momentum.
http://www.sarahbushartworks.com/ displays my original and site specific digital collages on brushed metal for the healthcare and hospitality industries, corporate and residential interiors. I started my company mid 2009.

WHO ARE YOU?
1. What made you decide to start your company?
I had been a Creative Director for a retail entertainment startup that didn't make it through the economic downturn and  thought I'd use my severance as a chance to create something new on my own terms that I would find exciting to work on for years to come.

2. Where do you see your business in 5 years?
As an artist, I hope to be creating larger scale public artworks and continue to show ever-evolving new work that is heart centered, authentic, and deeply aesthetically pleasing to myself and my viewers in multiple galleries and various art venues throughout the world. This will include collaborating with other artists to create exciting bodies of work that I couldn't imagine on my own as well as fully expressing my own ideas through fiber, metal, drawing and collage.

As a creativity coach, I plan to offer a wide range of online classes and a membership site(s) that nurture and support people's creative dreams and goals, heal their spirits, and help them feel more deeply connected to their essential selves and the world around them. My dream is also to provide inspiring, nourishing, and liberating retreats in gorgeous locations that help people reconnect to and rejuvenate their creative muse so that they can dip deeper into the collective creative genius and fully express themselves as the artists they are.

3. Who was your inspiration?
Everyone taking a risk and building something genuine.

4. What turns you on?
Possibility.

5. What advice do you have for tomorrow’s female entrepreneurs?
Get and stay on your own side and be your ideas' best friend. Don't let your self-doubt stop you; don't wait for a guarantee; don't think you don't know enough to get started.

6. Tell us a sexy secret ;-)
Well, I don't have a sexy secret, but a little known fact about me is that the 2nd most unusual job I've ever had was as a part-time improvisational actor for a medical school.  The school wanted to help prepare medical students for the wide variety of patients and situations they might encounter in their practices (so they could learn how to talk to different kinds of patients in a humane, compassionate way) and used improvisational actors as one way to do that. Once they figured out I could cry at the drop of a hat, they gave me all the psychiatric patient profiles (all based on real people) to portray. And since everyone always freaked when my characters would cry, they definitely needed the training!
Now you must want to know what the most unusual job is that I ever had. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment